Manufacturer Notes: Adolphus Busch Glass & Glass Manufacturing CompaniesSaint Louis Directory Listings
1890 No listing for Busch
1890 Heitz Christian, sec Lindell Glass Co. 2814 N. 9th, r. 1127 Montgomery
1890 Heitz, Frederick, glass, Dorcas, nw. cor. Main, r. 176 Dorcas
1891 No listing for Busch
1892 BUSCH ADOLPHUS GLASS CO. J Schmedtje, Mngr., 3d, sw. cor. Barton
1893 BUSCH ADOLPHUS GLASS MNFG. CO. J Schmedtje, Mngr., 3d, sw. cor. Barton
1894 BUSCH ADOLPHUS GLASS MNFG. CO. J Schmedtje, Mngr., 3d, sw. cor. Barton
1895 BUSCH ADOLPHUS GLASS MNFG. CO. J Schmedtje, Sec. and Mngr., 3d, sw. cor. Barton
1895 Heitz Frederick, glass Dorcas, nw, cor Main, r, 176 Dorcas
1896 Busch Adolphus Glass Mnfg. Co. 3d, sw. cor. Barton
1896 Heitz Frederick, glass Dorcas, nw, cor Main, r, 176 Dorcas
1897 Busch Adolphus Glass Mnfg. Co. 3d, sw. cor. Barton
1897 Heitz Frederick, glass. Dorcas, nw, cor Main, r, 176 Dorcas
1898 Busch Adolphus Glass Mnfg. Co. 3d, sw. cor. Barton
1898 Heitz Frederick W. foreman. r 176 Dorcas
1899 Busch Adolphus Glass Mnfg. Co. 3d, sw. cor. Barton
1900 Busch Adolphus Glass Mnfg. Co. 3d, sw. cor. Barton
1901 Busch Adolphus Glass Mnfg. Co. Main. nw. eor. Dorcas
1902 Busch Adolphus Glass Mnfg. Co. Main. nw. cor. Dorcas
1903 Busch Adolphus Glass Mnfg Co Main nw cor Dorcas
1904 Busch Adolphus Glass Mnfg Co Main nw cor Dorcas
1905 Busch Adolphus Glass Mnfg Co 101 Dorcas
1906 Busch Adolphus Glass Mnfg Co 101 Dorcas
1907 Busch Adolphus Glass Mnfg Co 101 Dorcas
1908 Busch Adolphus Glass Mnfg Co 101 Dorcas
1909 Directory not available
1910 Busch Adolphus Glass Mnfg Co 101 Dorcas
1915 Busch Adolphus Glass Mnfg Co 101 Dorcas
1920 Busch Adolphus Glass Mnfg Co Aug A Busch pres 101 Dorcas
1923 Busch Adolphus Glass Mnfg Co Aug A Busch pres 103 Dorcas
To give a complete list of the new industries started since the passage of the McKinley bill would be impossible, and would occupy more space than The Arena could spare. I give, therefore, a partial list compiled from the Boston Commercial Bulletin, and covering only the first three months after the passage of the law, that is, from Oct. 1, 1890. These are the months most unfavorable to the bill, but the statistics show what the growth of new and old industries has been under the tariff of 1890 in three months, and indicate what the future increase is likely to be.
POTTERY AND GLASS.
Chattanooga Pottery Co. Pottery Mills at Millville, Tenn.
Glass factory to manufacture glass jars and bottles at Middletown, Indiana.
Window glass factory at Baltimore, Md.
Glass manufactory at Fostoria, Ohio. (125 persons operate 12 pots.)
Parmenter Mfg. Co. at East Brookfield, Mass. (Capital, $250,000.)
Glass manufactory at Grand Rapids, Mich.
American Union Bottle Co. Glass works at Woodbury, N. J.
A. Busch Glass Works at St. Louis, Mo.
Large glass plant at Denver, Col., by Chicago parties. (To employ between 300 and 400 men.) Diamond Plate Glass
Co., at Kokomo, Indiana. (Capacity, 5,500 ft. per day.)
New green glass factory at Alton, Ills. (To employ 425 men.)
Union Glass Co. at Malaga, N. J. (Capital, 1100,000.)
Window Glass Co. of Pittsburgh, Pa. (Capital, $100,000.)
Window glass factory at Millville, N. J.
Glass manufactory at North Baltimore, Md. (Optical goods.)
Flower, B. O.; The Arena (Boston, The Arena Publishing Co., 1891)
Engineer Burned to Death
ST. Louis, Jan. 27.--William Conway, engineer of the Busch Glass works, took a lighted lamp into the oil room Sunday evening when an explosion occurred. Blazing oil spread over the room and Conway was burned to death. The fire was stubborn and damaged the place $2,000.
Marietta Daily Leader (Marietta, Ohio) February 1, 1896
THE SECRETARY OF STATE AT SPRINGFIELD yesterday licensed the incorporation of the following companies:
The Adolphus Busch Glass Manufacturing company of St. Louis, Mo., with a capital of $200,000; in Illinois, $30,000.
The Chicago Tribune (Chicago, Illinois) September 14, 1898
Name of Corporation. | In what state incorporated | Location of principal office in Illinois | License to do
business in Illinois issued. | Fees paid.
Adolphus Busch Glass Mfg. Co.| Missouri....|Belleville....| 30,000.00| Sept. 12, 1898| 78.00
Biennial Report of the Secretary of State of the State of Illinois for the Fiscal Years, Beginning October 1, 1896, and Ending September 30, 1898.
BUSCH GLASS WORKS FIRE.
Damages Estimated at $75,000---
New Plant Purchased.
The destruction by fire of the St. Louis plant of the Adolphus Busch Glass Works at Third and Barton streets early yesterday morning entailed a loss of $75,000, which is covered by insurance. The plant was completely gutted. It was a story and a half building with a frame interior, which burned like tinder.
Six Hundred expert glass blowers were employed in the works, which had a daily capacity of 500 gross of beer, soda and mineral water bottles, and the output for the year was sold in advance. In order that the men remain but a short period in idleness, Adolphus Busch the president of the company, yesterday bought the old Heitz Glass Works, located at the foot of Dorcas street, which will be started in within a fortnight.
The cause of the fire is believed to have been defective electric wires. Mr. Busch stated last night that he intended to rebuild at once an absolutely fireproof structure of iron, brick and cement on the site of the ruins. The other branches of the Busch glass works are located at Belleville and Streator in Illinois.
Thousands of spectators visited the scene of the fire yesterday afternoon, as it was the first big fire South St. Louis has seen for some time. captain Schroeder of the Second District had the ruins well roped in and there was
a special detail of police on duty.
The majority of employees of the company were participating in the brewery ball which was being given at Concordia Hall. Thirteenth and Arsenal streets, while the fire was in progress,
The Saint Louis Republic (St. Louis, Missouri) April 2, 1900
200,000 fire brick, 100 cars building rock; Third and Barton; Busch glass works; lot of iron rails. A. Alpirin, iron and metal dealer, 801 S. Broadway; both phones.
The Saint Louis Republic (St. Louis, Missouri) January 23, 1902
BOYS WANTED--Fifty boys at A. Busch Glass Manufacturing Company, Main and Dorcas sts.
The Saint Louis Republic (St. Louis, Missouri) May 4, 1902
Belleville News Notes
-- The Busch Glass Works resumed operations yesterday after a shutdown of two months during the heated term.
Four hundred men are at work.
The Saint Louis Republic (St. Louis, Missouri) September 4, 1902
Wanted, 100 Boys.
Call at Adolphus Busch Glass co.., Main and Dorcas sts.
The Saint Louis Republic (St. Louis, Missouri) April 19, 1903
One of the factories of the Anheuser-Busch Glass Co. at Belleville. Ill., has been closed down and it is said that work will not be resumed until the fall. Overproduction is given as the reason for the suspension.
Glass and Pottery World (Chicago, Illinois) May 1903
GLASS FACTORIES LABORERS STRIKE.
Several Hundred Men and Boys Out,
and Work at a Standstill.
As a result of the strike of the laborers at the Busch and Port Works will remain closed indefinitely. The glass blowers who expected to start work there were informed yesterday morning that word had been received from
Adolphus Busch's representatives that they had better go elsewhere if they wanted to work, as the glass works would not be opened for some time.
This news caused much excitement in West Belleville. Several hundred men and boys are employed in this industry, and much of the welfare of the West End depends on the operation of the plant. Prominent business men of Belleville will endeavor to bring about this result.
Messrs. Geiger and Mathias of the State Board of Arbitration yesterday began working to the same end. the men
have been getting $1,58 a day and want $1.65.
The Saint Louis Republic (St. Louis, Missouri) September 22, 1903
GLASS WORKERS STRIKE SETTLED.
State Board of Arbitration Declines to Make Public the Terms.
Members of the State Board of Arbitration yesterday settled the strike of the laborers at the Port Glass Works. The fires were laid last evening.
The basis of the settlement was not made public. The Board of Arbitration is now engaged in attempting to settle the differences between the laborers and the employers at the Busch Glass Works.
The Saint Louis Republic (St. Louis, Missouri) September 23, 1903
FIRES REKINDLED IN FURNACES.
Busch Glass Works to Resume Oper-
ations in Five or Six Days.
Fires were started in the Busch Glass Works' furnaces yesterday afternoon. Hope of the glass works resuming operations ran high among the residents of the West End, Belleville, as a result. It will take five or six days for the furnaces to get hot enough for work. It is believed that a call will be sent to the glass blowers who have left town to return to work. The glass works did not open because of trouble with the laborers employed there. This trouble was all settled Monday evening.
The Saint Louis Republic (St. Louis, Missouri) November 19, 1903
An agreement has been reached between the officials of the Busch Glass Company at Belleville, 111., and its
workers by means of which operations have been resumed. The factory was idle since last June owing to inability
to come to terms. The product of the plant is bottles.
Glass and Pottery World (Chicago, Illinois) December 1903
VIOLATED CHILD LABOR LAW.
Fines of $5 Accessed Against Thirty-
Corporations and firms on the east Side yesterday pleaded guilty to thirty-six charges of alleged violations of the child-labor law, and thirty-six being part of the fifty-nine cases brought by Deputy Factory Inspector Johnson before Justice of the Peace Driscoll of East St. Louis on Friday.
The please of guilty were entered by the companies as follows: National Livestock Exchange, one case:.....O'Bear
Nestor Glass Works, fifteen cases, all of East St. Louis, and the Busch Glass Works of Belleville, four cases. A fine of $5 each was imposed in each case. The remainder of the cases are set for hearing on November 29.
St. Louis Republic (St. Louis, Missouri) November 20, 1904
A large glass industry has developed about St. Louis, due to the presence of an extensive and very pure deposit of white sand or silica, about twenty-five miles west and south of the city. This sand is so free from iron contamination that it is largely shipped to the glass works in the Indiana gas belt.
Crystal Plate Glass Works of the Pittsburg Plate Glass Co., at Crystal City, Mo., 30 miles south of St. Louis, reached by the Iron Mountain R. R., the Memphis branch of the Frisco and by steamboat.
The plant covers twenty-six acres and contains four Siemens's regenerative glass melting furnaces with necessary gas producers, ninety-four annealing kilns, twenty-five disc grinding machines, forty-two polishing machines, boilers and Corliss condensing engines aggregating 3000 h. p., pumping plant of 5,000,000 gallons capacity per twenty-four hours and three locomotives. Six and a half miles of railroad in and around factory.
St. Louis Plate Glass Co. Works at Valley Park, Mo., 19 miles west, of St. Louis, via Mo. Pac. or Frisco R. R. New and extensive works, containing four 20-pot furnaces; ware annealed in continuous Lehrs kilns.
Illinois Glass Co. Works at Alton, Ill., 22 miles north of St. Louis via C. and A. R. R. This is the largest bottle factory in the United States and produces all kinds of flint and colored bottles; eight continuous tank furnaces, three Gill pot furnaces, five day tanks.
Mississippi Glass Co. Foot of Angelica St.; take Broadway car north to 4100 N. Broadway, then walk two blocks east. Make skylight and wire glass, cathedral glass, rough plate; have two continuous regenerative tank furnaces; capacity 50 tons in 24 hours.
A. Busch Glass Mfg. Co.
(a) Main and Dorcas Sts. Manufacturers of green bottle glass. One 20-ring regenerative tank furnace, capacity 50 tons in 24 hours, the largest in the world.
(b) Belleville, Ill., 15 miles from St. Louis. Green bottle factory of the Anheuser-Busch brewery. Three continuous tank furnaces, 32 rings; capacity 82 tons in 24 hours, or the equivalent of 164,000 bottles.
Obear-Nestor Glass Co., Broadway, East St. Louis; take car on Eads Bridge. Manufacturers of flint bottle glass; one 20-ring continuous tank, capacity 20 tons in 24 hours; one 16 and one 14-pot furnace.
Continental Glass Mfg. Co., Third and Barton Sts.; take Broadway car to Barton St., walk one block east. One 9-ring continuous tank operating on press ware.
Port Glass Works, Belleville, Ill. One 7-ring continuous tank furnace, operating on machine made fruit jars; capacity 27 tons or 54,000 jars in 24 hours.
World's Fair Souvenir of the Engineers' Club of Saint Louis (1904)
BUSCH, Adolphus, manufacturer, was born near Mainz, Germany, in 1842. He received superior educational advantages, completing a course of study at a noted collegiate institution of Belgium. After being connected with a large mercantile house in Cologne for a time, he decided to come to the United States, and arrived in St. Louis, Mo., in 1857, finding employment there with a wholesale commission house. At the outbreak of the civil war he enlisted in the Federal army and served fourteen months. Upon attaining his majority he received from his father's estate means sufficient to establish in St. Louis a brewer's supply business of considerable importance, which he continued until 1800, when he formed a partnership with Eberhard Anheuser, who was owner of the Bavarian Brewery, which had a small but well-established trade. In 1873 Mr. Busch discovered a process of bottling beers to withstand the temperature of all climates, which has enabled him to extend his trade to every portion of the globe. In the same year the firm of E. Anheuser & Co. was incorporated, which was changed upon Mr. Anheuser's death, in 1880, to the Anheuser-Busch Brewing Association, with Mr. Busch as president. Under Mr. Busch's management the business has increased phenomenally, and in 1901 the sales passed the million barrel mark, tar exceeding those of any other brewery in the world. Beside his large interest in the Anheuser-Busch Association, he is president of the South Side bank and the Manufacturer's Railroad Co. He founded the Adolphus Busch Glass Co. in St. Louis, with branches at LaSalle, Belleville and Streator, 111., and the largest bottle manufacturing firm in the world, besides owning u controlling interest in five brewing plants in Texas and numerous ice manufacturing plants in different parts of the United States. He is also heavily interested in steam and street railways and various other important enterprises. The magnitude of these interests is considerable, yet so thoroughly systematized arc his affairs that he handles them with ease. He is a director of the Louisiana Purchase Exposition Co. and chairman of its committee on foreign relations. Mr. Busch is a man of great benevolence and generosity. He has spent much time in travel abroad and throughout the United States. He was married, in 1861, to Lilly, daughter of Eberhard Anheuser.
The National Cyclopaepedia of American Biography Volume XII (New York, James T. White & Company, 1904)
I was also called to Belleville a number of times in the early part of the season to try and settle a difference between the Busch Glass Company and the Glass House Employees' Union, which was finally settled, after keeping our men walking the streets for about four months after the first of September. The Busch Glass Company started but one of their three factories in the middle of the season, employing all of their apprentices, including those from their other factories which they had idle; but, upon request of your executive official, they willingly took off the number employed in the factories which were standing idle, and put journeymen in their places, showing conclusively that branch's neglect even to ask the management to live up to the law at times.
In the month of May I was asked by said company to go to Belleville and investigate the reason of the men not working steady. I did so. I found a great many places standing idle in one factory, for the reason of too much drink. I called a special meeting of the branch—also their attention to the condition, and gave them what advice I was capable of giving. The conclusion I arrived at was that the company started their factory so late in the season that men who cared to work would not leave steady places to go to a company so late in the season. Hence, they were obliged to take what men they could get to fill their places at that time.
Proceedings of the Glass Bottle Blowers' Association of the United States and Canada Twenty-Eight Annual Session (Camden, C. S. Magrath, 1904)
BUSCH GLASS PLANT
DESTROYED BY FIRE
Flames Envelop Building Soon
After Explosion, Supposedly of
Gas--Great Warehouses Were
The plant of the Adolphus Busch Glass Manufacturing Company, at Main and Dorcas street, was destroyed by fire
last night. The fire was immediately preceded by an explosion in the east end of the building, supposed to have been caused by escaping gas.
Martin E. Schuster, night watchman at the plant, was at the other end of the building at 8:30 o'clock when the explosion occurred. He says that almost simultaneously with the the report, flames spread about the glass-melting furnaces and quickly enveloped the building.
Schuster turned in the first alarm and later a general alarm was rung by the patrolman on the beat. When the engines arrived the entire building was afire, and flames were bursting out of the windows on all sides. For a time the great bottle warehouse opposite the glass plant on Dorcas street containing thousands of dollars worth of goods, were in danger from the flames and sparks.
Great difficulty was experiences by the Fire Department in running its lines of hose to the burning building. It is surrounded on two sides by piles of lumber and fences, and on the east side by the Iron Mountain tracks. Even after the hose was connected, the streams were small, owing to the distance from which the water had to be pumped.
About an hour after the fire started, the entire east wall of the building collapsed and fell out across the railroad tracks. Chief Swingley and several fireman, who were working on that side of the building, barely escaped the falling bricks and mortar.
The glass plant employed 500 operatives, including 200 boys. Owing to Washington's Birthday, the plant had closed and only the watchman and fireman were about the building. The latter had gone to supper when the explosion had occurred. Eight box cars filled with raw materials for manufacturing bottles, and coal, which were on the tracks inside the building, were burned. None of the freight cars standing on the Iron Mountain tracks, however, were damaged. It is estimated that $90,000 will cover the loss to the building and its contents. the structure was one-storey high, of brick, and was built five years ago.
The glass company has an enormous supply of bottles already manufactured and in storage, and in addition, the Anheuser-Busch Brewing Association has a large supply of bottles on hand, so that the brewery will not be handicapped in this respect until the plant can be rebuilt.
The Saint Louis Republic (St. Louis, Missouri) February 23, 1905
Fire Destroys Busch Glass Works,
St. Louis, Feb. 23.--The Adolphus Busch glass works building was destroyed by fire, entailing a loss of $75,000.
the fire is believed to have started by electric wires. Two large glass furnaces were saved by averting streams
of water from falling upon them. The plant manufactured the glass bottles used by the Anheuser-Busch Brewing
company. It is stated that the loss of the plant throws 500 employees out of work.
The Norfolk Weekly News Journal (Norfolk, Nebraska) February 24, 1905
NAME. | Brach of Industry | Girls under 16 years| Boys under 16 years. | Males over 16 Years | Children under 16
years || Total Number of Employees.
Busch Glass Mfg. C., Adolphus | Glass factory..........|.....| 83|......| 507| 83|| 590
Eleventh And Twelfth Annual Reports of the Factory Inspectors of Illinois Year Ending December 15, 1903 Year Ending December 15, 1904 (Springfield, Illinois State Journal Co., 1906)
Strike Of Glass Workers, Belleville.
A strike of glass workers at Belleville received the attention of the board in September, l903. On the twentieth Chairman Geiger went to Belleville in response to a letter received from Mayor Kern. It was found that the strike was at the works of the Port Glass Company and the Busch Glass Manufacturing Company, and that about l,000 men were involved, the weekly pay roll aggregating $l5,000. On the following day Chairman Geiger was joined by Mr. Mathis. They met a committee of the glass blowers, consisting of H. F. Burns, Logan Mellon and E. N. Schreiber. It was found that both companies had signed contracts with the glass blowers, and that the trouble was with the glass house men, packers and laborers. At l:30 p. m. of the same day, Messrs. Geiger and Mathis had a conference with Mr. J. W. Port, of the Port Glass Company, at the Belleville House. Mr. Port agreed to meet a committee from Local Union No. 3 at any time, with a view to reaching a settlement.
A conference between the members of the board and John Tolsch, president of Local Union No. 3, and John Bullock of the committee, followed, and arrangements were made for a conference with John W. Port, of the Port Glass Company, to be held at the Belleville House at 9:30 the following morning. It was the understanding that the committee of the union should come to the conference with full power to agree upon terms of settlement.
The members of the board met John Fetterline, superintendent, and William Lepper, foreman, of the Busch Glass Manufacturing Company, at the company's offices, and went over the case. Mr. Fetterline informed the board that the company desired to close its plant and had so informed the glass blowers that forenoon. The reason for this action was that the wage scale demanded by the common laborers and packers was such that the company could not see its way clear to resume operation. After some discussion, Mr. Fetterline, at the request of the board, consented to lay the question of meeting the men in joint conference, before the general management of the Busch Glass Manufacturing Company, and to meet Messrs. Geiger and Mathis at the Southern Hotel in St. Louis on the evening of the 23d. A conference was held at the Belleville House at l0:30 a. m., on Sept. 22, at which there were present besides the members of the board, Mr. J. W. Port, of the Port Glass Company; James Borders, president of the Trades and Labor Assembly; John Tolsch, chairman, John Bullock, Herman Schaeffer, Fred Kissel and Ben Lovelace, representing Local Union No. 3 of the International Association of Glass House Employees. The conference lasted, with a brief intermission for lunch, until 3:45 p. m , when the following agreement was duly signed:
At a conference held at the Belleville House, Belleville, Ill., Sept. 23, 1903, 1 between the representatives of the International Association of Glass House Employees, No. 3, and the Port Glass Works, represented by John W. Port, of Belleville, Ill., held at the suggestion of Chauncey B. Geiger and W. A. Mathis, members of the State Board of Arbitration, it was agreed, after due deliberation and consideration, to recommend to the two parties to the controversy now existing between the said International Association of the Glass House Employees and the Port Glass Works, that a compromise of the said difficulty be effected by making the following suggestions for compromise:
1. That the company hire men who belong to the International Association of Glass House Employees Local Union No. 3, or men who are acceptable thereto.
2. Scale of wages: Laborers, $1.65 per day of nine hours; packers, $1.90 per day of nine hours; mixers, $1.90 per
shift, same as heretofore; fillers-in, $1.70 per day of eight hours; ash wheelers, $1.65 per day of nine hours;
gas makers, $1.70 per day of eight hours; layer packers, $1.65 per day of nine hours; washers, 90 cents per day
of nine hours; cappers and fillers, 75 cents per day of nine hours.
3. In case of any difference of opinion about the meaning of the contract or any other matter during the past, it
is understood and agreed that there shall be no stoppage of work in any department of the works. All such matters
of difference that cannot be settled by the superintendent and employees must be left to arbitration, the employees
to select one man, the company one man, and the two so selected to appoint a third man, their decision to be
binding upon both parties.
4. The men working under this agreement to do all in their power to further the interests of the company in
accordance with the scale.
5. The employees must live up to the rules of the company if in reason and must be prompt in reporting for work.
6. The company to pay time and one-third for all over time including such work not customary Sunday work.
7. Apprentice packers to serve ninety days before receiving full pay, one apprentice to pack house. Apprentice
packers to receive $1.65 per day of nine hours, until time is served. Warehouse men preferred.
8. When anyone is in the employment of the Port Glass Works, not a member of I. A. of C. H. E., who has not the money to pay his fees, the Port Glass1 Works will accept orders for the same and pay the amount to an authorized
agent of the organization, providing the party has the money coming to him or her.
This contract in force from date until Sept. 1, 1904.
International Association of Glass House Employees, No. 3.
Port Glass Works,
(Per J. W. Port.)
Chaunoey B. Geiger, Chairman.
W. A. MATHIS,
Members of State Board of Arbitration.
Pursuant to the arrangement already mentioned, Messrs. Greiger and Mathis held a conference at the Southern Hotel at 8:30 p. m., Sept. 23 with Mr. Fetterline, superintendent of the Busch Glass Works of Belleville, and the
committee of the union consisting of John Tolsch, John Bullock, Herman Schaeffer, Fred Kissel and Ben Lovelace.
Mr. Fetterline stated that the plant would not open in Belleville at that time on account of the overstock of bottles in storage and that the company would not grant the demands of the Local Union No. 3.
Ninth Annual Report of the State Board of Arbitration of Illinois December 31, 1904 (Springfield, Illinois State Journal Co., 1905)
Busch Glass Works Burn.
St. Louis, Feb. 23--The Adolphus Busch glass manufacturing works, at main and Dorcas streets, were completely
destroyed by fire last night, which started while the night shift of some 500 men and boys was preparing to work
after their lunch hour, about 8:40 o'clock.
The loss is estimated at $75,000, and two men were slightly hurt.
The Daily Review (Decatur, Illinois) February 23, 1905
BIG NEW GLASS COMPANY OWNS
FACTORIES IN SIX DIFFER-
Exclusive Selling Agent for New New-
ark Machine Bottle co.--Complete
List of Officers.
The annual capacity of the new ten million dollar American Bottle company recently formed in this city is 300,000,000 bottles.
The new company has purchased the factories and good will of the following named concerns: Ohio Bottle company with plants at Newark, Massillon and Wooster, Ohio, The Streator, Ill., Bottle plant, The A. Busch Glass factories at Belleville, Ill., and St. Louis, Mo. The plants being located in various places enables the American to execute orders under any conditions.
The company is the exclusive agent for the new Newark Machine Bottle company, Newark's newest industry and one that promises great results. Amber and light green bottles are produced.
A Partial list of officers of the American Bottle company has already been published in the Advocate, but the
complete list follows:
President, M. W. jack.
Vice President and Asst. General Manager, L. S. Stokes.
Secretary and Treasurer, W. J. Crane.
General Superintendent, O. G. King.
Directors. M. W. Mack, E. H. Everett, W. J. Crane, L. S. Stoker, J. C. haring, Walter Reeves, S. M. Hunter, John
E. H. Everett, chairman Executive Committee and General Manager.
Executive Committee, E. H. Everett, M. W. Mack, L. S. Stoehr, W. J. Crane.
The general offices of the company are in the First National bank building at Chicago, but the home office is in
The Newark Advocate (Newark, Ohio) September 8, 1905
Stockholders Held Annual Meeting
Here Saturday--Edw. H. Everett
The stockholders of the American Bottle company held their annual meeting in this city Saturday, and while here were the guests of Mr. E. H. Everett who is general manager and chairman of the executive committee.
This company is composed of the Ohio Bottle company of Newark, Massillon and Wooster, the Streator Bottle and
Glass company, with factories at Streator, Ill., and the A. Busch Glass manufacturing company with factories at
Belleville, Ill., and St. Louis, Mo., has for its officers the following: M. W. Jack, president; L. S. Stoehr, vice president and assistant general manager; W. J. Crane, secretary and treasurer, and O. G. King, general superintendent. The directors of the company are M. W. Jack, E. H. Everett, W. J. Crane, L. S. Stoehr, J. C. Haring, Walter Reeves, S. M. Hunter and John O'Brien.
The Newark Advocate (Newark, Ohio) November 28, 1905
SCHMEDTJE, Johannes, secretary and manager Adolphus Busch Glass Manufacturing Co.; born Holstein, Germany, Oct. 23, 1850; son of S. and Marie (Dieckmann) Schmedtje; educated in gymnasium in Germany; married, St. Louis, May 28, 1878, Johanna Busch; children, Adolph, Elsa, Gussie, Paula, Clara, Lily, Hilda. Came from Germany to St. Louis, 1870; engaged as clerk in wine house, 1870-75; became identified with Anheuser-Busch Brewing association as general clerk, 1875 and was in freight department for fifteen years; when glass works were erected, was put in charge of same by Adolphus Busch in 1891; now vice-president, secretary and manager, Adolphus Busch Glass Manufacturing Co., manufacturers of bottles. Evangelical Lutheran. Independent in Politics. Club: Liederkranz. Favorite recreations: Music and thespian art. Office: Corner of Main and Dorcas Sts. Residence: 2337 S. 13th St.
Leonard, John W.; The Book of St. Louisans (St. Louis, The St. Louis Republic, 1906)
The Adolphus Busch Glass manufacturing Company was purchased from the city of Belleville fifteen years ago by Mr. Busch, who is now the president of the the Anheuser-Busch Brewing Company. In this establishment are manufactured beer and soda bottles, and about 615 men are employed. The factory is running for ten months of the
year, and the capacity is 25,000 gross per month.
Wilderman, A. A.; History of St. Clair County (Chicago, Munsell Publishing Company, 1907)
The Busch Glass manufacturing company's plant at St. Louis, which has been closed since June 15, is to start up
on October 1.
The Muskogee Cimeter (Muskogee, Indian Territory) October 2, 1908
THE AMERICAN BOTTLE COMPANY.
The American Bottle Company, whose great strength lies in its control of the Owens bottle machine, is a $10,000,000 incorporation, now having an annual capacity of three hundred million tattles. Edward H. Everett, whose factory has long been a factor in Newark's prosperity, is general manager of the new corporation and is chairman of the executive committee. The American Bottle Company purchased the factories and good will of the Ohio Bottle Company, with factories located at Newark, Massillon (two) and Wooster, Ohio, the Streator Bottle and
Glass Company, with a factory at Streator, 111., and the A. Busch Glass Manufacturing Company, with factories at
Belleville, Illinois, and St. Louis, Missouri. This vast industry is controlled by Mr. Everett and Mr. Busch, the St. Louis millionaire. General offices are maintained in Chicago, but the chief factory is in Newark, and the enormous natural gas field here, together with the rich sand quarry at Black Hand, sixteen miles away, afforded ample inducement for the selection of this city as the location for the big machine bottle plant recently constructed. The American company controls eighty per cent of the bottle business today, and its trade is growing. Everett has an interest second to none in the Licking-Knox county gas fields, the largest hi Ohio, and he also owns the Black Hand sand quarries.
Brister, E. M. P.; Centennial History of the City of Newark and Licking County Ohio Volume I (Chicago, S. J. Clarke Publishing Co., 1909)
Armour & Company have reduced their juvenile employees from 160 to 45.
Ko much tor Chicago—now we will look to the territory outside of Chicago and Cook county. To give you an illustration of the reduction of child labor in the glass factories in Illinois, I refer to the following:
Illinois Glass Co., Alton, employed 377 children under the age of 16 in 1901, today they employ 73.
Adolphus Busch Glass Co., Belleville, employed 109 in 1901, and now employ 82.
Streator Bottle and Glass Co., have ten children under 16 in their employ now, while in 1901 there were 257.
American Bottle Co., Streator employ two children today, in 1901 there were 15.
The Headly Glass Company of Danville now employ 10, in 1901 they employed 30.
The above statistics are but a few of the many good results brought about through the enforcement of the law. In
1893 the percentage of children employed in Illinois was 8.2 per cent; the present percentage has been reduced to
1.3 per cent. We make the statement, and we make it advisedly, that we have the lowest percentage of child labor
of any State in the Union. In making this statement, I include not only factories and workshops, but every other
character of employment.
Grote, Caroline; Journal of Proceedings of the Fifty-Sixth Annual Meeting of The Illinois State Teachers'
Association and Sections Held at Springfield, Illinois, December 28-30, 1909 (Springfield, Illinois State Journal Co., 1910)
BELGIUM BUILDING. This is one of the structures that represented foreign countries at the Fair...Later, this
Belgium Building was purchased and moved to Dorcas Street near the Mississippi River, and used as the main
building for the Adolphus Busch Glass Manufacturing Company (no longer in existence).
Thomas, Joan M.; Postcard History Series St. Louis 1875-1940 (Chicago, Arcadia Publishing, 2003)
Go To North American Soda & Beers Home