Manufacturer Notes: Gayner Glass Works


1899 Salem

Glass Manufacturers
     Bassett S M & Co, Elmer
     Deyo Glass Works, Elmer
     Gayner John, Salem
     Salem Glass Works, Salem

1901 Salem

Glass Manufacturers
     Bassett S M & Co, Elmer
     Gayner Glass Works, Salem
     Salem Glass Works, Fourth nr Broadway, Salem

Glass and Oilcloth Works Destroyed

SALEM, N. J., April 14.--Gaynor's glassworks and two buildings, and William Maras's oil-cloth works burned last night, Two other buildings were damaged. Loss on the oil-cloth works, $75,000; insurance $50,000, Loss on glass works, $45,000. Several fireman were injured. About 100 men are thrown out of employment.

Galveston Daily News (Galveston, Texas) April 15, 1884

661 Bottles.
C. Green Glass Bottles
Gaynor Glass Works, Salem, N. J.

Seeger & Guernsey's Cyclopaedia of the Manufactures and Products of the United States (New York, The United States Industrial Publishing Company, 1899)

Salem (D 8), Salem County,

Gaynor Glass Works, manufacturers of glass, employs 225 persons

    Whitall tatum & Co., ....................Millville, .........Cumberland
    Whitney Glass Works, ...............Glassboro, ....Gloucester
    Gaynor Glass Works, ................Salem. ...........Salem

Garrison, Winton C.; The Industrial Directory of New Jersey (Trenton, 1906)

Battery Jars

Gaynor Glass Works, Salem, N. J.

Electrical Record (New York, New York) October 1907

   Gaynor Glass Works, New York 480

   Gaynor Glass Works, New York 480

   Gaynor Glass Works, New York 480

   Gaynor Glass Works, New York 480

   Gaynor Glass Works, New York 480

P 480

J. M. Lummis, Sales Mgr               Established 1874                              L. A. Lummis, Asst Sales Mgr
                                                GAYNER GLASS WORKS
Manufacturers of Bottles, Battery Jars, Demijohns, Carboys

Telephone                     SALES OFFICE, 149 BROADWAY, NEW YOUR, N. Y.             WORKS
CORTLANDT 4146                                                                                                      Salem, New Jersey

  Automatic Machine Made Bottles, Insulators, Batter Jars, Acid Bottles, Carboys, Demijohns, 
Seltzer or packing Bottles, Water Bottles, Large Storage Containers, and other Large Glass 

  Either narrow mouth or wide mouth with ground glass stoppers, in half gallons and larger.

  We have made a specialty of these for years. We are the largest manufacturers of this class 
of ware in the country and can furnish most any size or style desired. We carry large sticks 
of standard sizes. Special sizes oe designs developed and furnished promptly.

  These range in various sizes, shapes and styles of finish from 1/2 gallon to 5 gallons. Can 
be made from private moulds or lettered from our stock plate moulds. Can also supply special 
spring water crates. We pay particular attention to the tempering of this ware and our water 
bottles are found to stand the severe service given them with entire satisfaction. We catty 
large stocks and can make shipments promptly.

  All sizes with any style of finish desired. Boxed to suit the trade requirements or shipped 
in bulk. Well made, properly tempered, carefully tested and complying with the I. C. C. 

   When desired we can furnish special style finish on carboys as shown below:

      GODWIN GLASS STOPPER Stopper rests in recess in neck and is closed with our special sealing 

   Finished in 1, 2, 3 or 5 gallon sizes

   All goods are packed in well made crates and in a manner to insure delivery with minimum 
breakage. Special packing for export shipments on any of our products.

Chemical Engineering Catalog 1922 (New York, Chemical Catalog Company Inc., 1922)


The Glass Container Association held its annual convention at the Marlborough-Blenheim Hotel, Atlantic City, April 29, with a goodly representation of the trade present. The meeting followed the annual session of the National Bottle Manufacturers’ Association. Steps were taken to continue the fight against the Haugen bill. Reports of officers were acted upon and various topics discussed.

These officers were elected: J. D. Biggers, president; I. R. Steward, first vice-president; E. B. Ball, second vice president; H. J. Booth, secretary, and R. E. Walker, treasurer. The new directors are: H. J. Booth, C. L. Flaccus Glass Co.; J. M. Beatty, Federal Glass Co.; E. B. Ball, Ball Bros. Glass Mfg. Co., and G. W. Yost, Bellaire Bottle Co.; F. E. Baldwin, of the Thatcher Manufacturing Co. I. C. Jennings continues as business manager.

The following concerns were represented:

American Bottle Co., H. W. Seitz, W. J. Crane. 
Armstrong Cork Co., C. H. Silvery. 
Atlantic Bottle Co., E. F. Glacken.
N. W. Ayer Son, W. B. Okie.
American Metal Cap Corpn., P. C. Doyle.
Bellaire Bottle Co., G. W. Yost.
Berkeley Glass Sand Co., Inc., N. E. Perin. 
Berney-Bond Glass Co., B. Hazelton. 
Binghamton Glass Co., A. C. Yetter.
Bond Mfg. Co., Walter H. Matson, Sales Mgr. 
Boston Woven Hose & Rubber Co., Ralph E. Conder. 
Anchor Cap & Closure Corp., I. R. Stewart. 
Aluminum Seal Co., J. Howard Alger, J. F. Sharp. 
Phoenix-Hermetic Co., T. L. Taliaferro. 
Williams Sealing Corp., Thomas Hughes.
Buck Glass Co., George G. Buck, Pres.
Carr-Lowrey Glass Co., C. Hilgenberg, C. B. Garwood, A. F. Kammer.
Chapman Engineering Co., W. B. Chapman.
Chicago Heights Bottle Co., P. W. Schoficld.
D. O. Cunningham Glass Co., L. S. Cunningham.
Curtis Publishing Co., C. C. Parlin, S. Preston Edmonston.
Crown Cork 81 Seal Co., H. R. Stevens.
Diamond Alkali Co., W. G. Gundelfinger.
Diamond Glass Co., A. H. Murray.
Dominion Glass Co., A. H. Grier.
Fairmount Glass Works, John Rau.
C. L. Flaccus Glass Co., H. J. Booth.
Robert Gair Co., H. M. Carpenter, Mr. Gillette.
Gaynor Glass Works, John Gaynor.
The Glassworker, Harold C. Gaulding.
Glenshaw Glass Co., J. J. Meyer.
Geneva Glass Products. Inc., R. S. Ellinwood.
J. T. & A. Hamilton Co.. James H. Graham.
Hazel-Atlas Glass Co., A. F. Brady, Sidney Whitlock.
Howard Automatic Glass Feeder Co., George E. Howard.
Illinois Glass Co., John F. Perry, Mr. Levis, Frank Ferguson.
Kearns-Gorsuch Bottle Co., C. 0. Stewart.
Liberty Glass Co., George F. Collins.
Lynchburg Glass Works, N. D. Eller, Mr. Lloyd.
The McCamic Batchell Bergman Co., W. G. Bergman.
McKenna Brass Mfg. Co., D. M. Hanger.
Marion Bottle Co., Orville Clapp.
Maryland Glass Corp., Philip H. Heuisler, Pres.
Mathieson Alkali Works, Inc., John A. Kienle, R. Boyer.
Newborn Co., J. H. Newborn.
National Seal Co., T. L. Briggs, Nixon Lee.
Nivison-Weiskopf Co., E. L. Miller.
North Baltimore Bottle Glass Co., I. W. Richardson.
North Wheeling Glass Bot-tie Co., W. B. Gundling.
New Process Cork Co., C. E. McManus. William Vinson.
O‘Neill Machine Co., F. E. Jaeger.
Owens Bottle Co., W. H. Boshart, H. H. Baker.
F. E. Reed Glass Co., A. F. Reed.
Root Glass Co., C. J. Root, C. J. Root, Jr.
Salem Glass Co., Dale Dilworth.
Smith-Lee Co., W. L. Chaplin.
St. Albans Glass Co., J. P. Warrick.
Standard Glass Co., C. W. B. Hughes.
Swindell Bros., Walter B. Swindell.
Stephenson Corp., C. R. Stephenson, C. H. Ferris, Mr. Brummel.
Thatcher Mfg. Co., E. E. Baldwin.
Toledo Mould Co., George B. Arduser.
Turner Bros., R. E. Walker.
Upland Flint Glass Co., W. C. Forbes.
Winslow Glass Co., Palmer Winslow.
Louis Wuichet, Inc., W. B. Macpherson.
Glass Container Association, I. G. Jennings, Dr. A. W. Bitting, G. P. Nelson.
M. Gottesman & Co., I. Seward Robinson.
Sager Jar Co., J. W. Sager.
Keller Mechanical Engraving Co., S. A. Keller.

The American Perfumer and Essential Oil Review Vol. XVI. (New York, Perfumer Publishing Company, 1922)

John M. Gayner--The Gayner Glass Works at Salem is an important part of the economy of the city. It has been directed by successive generations of the founding family, and it now conducted by John M. Gayner, president, treasurer, and general manager of the company.

The founder of the Gayner Glass Works, John Gayner, was born in Bristol, England, in 1931, son of Edward and Elizabeth (Parker) Gayner. His father was born at Bristol, and lived all his life there, where he was well known as a glass works manager; he brought his sons into the plant early in their youth, to teach them the rudiments of the business. Edward and Elizabeth Gayner were the parents of thirteen children....

John Gayner, second child of Edward and Elizabeth, grew up at Bristol, attending the public schools there. At the age of twelve, he was considered suitable for employment in the glass works of which his father was manager, and entered it to learn the business. After two years, he was signed as an apprentice for a seven-year period to the firm of Coathupes & Company, of Bristol and Nailsea, England, there to learn the business of window-glass and shade blowing. At the end of his apprenticeship term, the firm gave him a fine complimentary testimonial of his character and skill. He remained with this firm for four years, and then with its successor for eight.

At the end of that period, he decided to make use of the fund which he had saved to launch himself in business, and took an old deserted flint shop in Bristol, there beginning to manufacture glass shades. He soon discovered, however, that he was facing too great competition, wound up his affairs in the city, and with his wife and six children set sail for America. When they landed at Portland, Maine, he had twenty-five dollars in his pocket, but on the very day of his arrival he went by train to Boston, and there obtained employment with the Crystal Glass Works.

This concern soon went out of business, however, and he came to seek employment with the glass company at Bergen Point, which also was unable to weather those difficult years. He made arrangements to work in a factory at Caven Point, but found that place too discouraging from the standpoint of educational advantages for his children. Seeking the presence of good schools, the family moved to Norristown, Pennsylvania, where a new glass factory was being opened under the management of Jacob Green.

Mr. Gayner worked in this plant until he received the offer of a place as superintendent at a glass works in Wheeling, West Virginia. He remained there for some time, then came back to Norristown, to become manager of the plant there. Then he had the discouraging experience of losing his own capital in trying to carry the plant through its difficulties, and being dismissed when the plant apparently became prosperous; however, it soon was on the downward road again, and when Mr. Gayner refused to return as manager, suffered complete failure.

John Gayner moved to Waterford, New Jersey, with the small amount of capital which remained to him, and there entered into business in association with Maurice Raleigh. Later he was associated with a Mr. McDevitte, and finally with S. J. Pardessus, of New York City. With the latter his work was most successful. The Gayner Glass Works, originally known as the John Gayner Glass Manufactory, was established in 1874, at Waterford. The present name was not adopted until 1898. In July of 1879, the firm was moved to Salem, where it has continued to the present time. Mr. Pardessus later became the largest fruit jar manufacturer in the East, and Mr. Gayner was left in charge of a business which was rapidly expanding...

The third son of John and Frances (Atkin) Gayner, Edward J. Gayner, was born near Bristol, England, and came with his parents and four brothers and sisters to America, while he was a small child. He received his preliminary education in the schools of his native country, and this training was supplemented by six years of study in the Schools of Boston, Massachusetts; Bergen, New Jersey; and Norristown, Pennsylvania. With his father, in Norristown, Waterford, and Salem, Edward J. learned thoroughly the glass trade. He was gradually advanced through the divisions of the company until he occupied the three positions of vice-president, treasurer, and general manager. For some years he was the moving spirit of the concern, and is recognized to have been an accomplished business man, of sound judgment. He was chiefly responsible for the introduction of modern methods and machinery into the plant, with the result that revenue from operations has been increased many fold. In 1925, he succeeded his father as president of the Gayner Glass Works, and continued in this position until his own death in 1937...

Edward J. Gayner married, on January 14, 1878, Rebecca C. Miller...John M. Gayner, [their] eldest son, was born in Salem on April 8, 1881. He attended the public schools and Pierce Business College, then entered employment with the Gayner Glass Works as an office boy. He rose in the plant and became assistant general manager, and later first vice-president and treasurer. Upon the death of his father, Edward J., in March of 1937, Mr. Gayner succeeded him as president, treasurer, and general manager. The other officers of the company are: E. H. Foster, vice-president; K. A. Godwin, vice-president; Joseph F. Gayner, first vice-president, and Lewis F. Gayner, secretary and assistant treasurer.

The Gayner Glass Works specializes in battery jars, carboys, and similar products. It is the largest concern in the country in this field. In the modern plant, which operates three furnaces, there are a total of six hundred employees; in normal times, the production of the firm is shipped all over the world... 

Myers, William Starr; The Story of New Jersey (New York, Lewis Historical Publishing Company, Inc., 1945)

The following companies were represented by proxy; Diamond Glass Company; Gaynor Glass Works; Lamb Glass Co.; .....

Proceedings of the Seventy-Seventh and fifth consolidated convention American Flint Glass Workers Union of North America (1954)

B Gaynor Glass Works, Salem.........................138

American Glass Review 1969



Name and Address                   Permit Number

Gaynor Glass Works, Div                 123
Star City Glass Co.
Salem, New Jersey

In 1956 the family business was sold to Star City Glass Co., which later merged with the National Bottle Corp. The National Bottle Corp. ceased operation in 1975. In 1977, after a long financial struggle, John G. Foster obtained the old Gayner plant from the National Bottle Corp. Foster refurbished the newer furnace, renovated production machinery, and rebuilt production lines. In the fall of 1977, production started and bottles were again coming from the old Gayner plant. But with all the good intensions, the plant ceased production for the final time in 1979.

Go To North American Soda & Beers Home